Thursday, October 27, 2016

Make Pockets Great Again

Pockets. Women's clothing often lacks them. It can be hard to find a pair of pants with a decent set. Dresses, a challenge. Jackets? Fah-gedda-bout-it (as they say in NYC). It's very frustrating. Women need to carry things on their person too. Especially on a Sunday morning! But the fashion industry has decided that pockets ruin the silhouette, or something, because women's clothes are created for looks, not function. So we have to get a little creative...

I scored some nice, cat-hair resistant $8 straight leg trousers at Burlington Coat Factory sometime in early summer during the sales to make way for summer. They had some fun zipper detailing, though most of the time my shirts would cover that up (see bottom pic). A little impractical for pants pockets, but was I going to argue for $8? Nope. Until I realized, that while these are functional zippers, there was NO POCKETS. Like, what? Why would you put in function zippers that zip NOTHING? Time to fix this situation.







With the help of my mom, I've added an interior pocket to a suit jacket, so I thought I could do something a little similar with these pants. I took some extra knit fabric scraps, folded it in half, sewed up the sides......













Here I pinned the pocket around the wrong side of the side of the inside of the zipper, matching it as best as I could. It didn't have to be perfect, but just completely closed around it. I hand-stitched the edges that didn't quite match up.
















Here is the finished pocket. After I sewed the pocket to the zipper, I took a seam ripper and spit the middle of the fabric between the two halves of the zipper, then snipped the edges clean. I only made one, because that was enough for one day!













Not a very big pocket, but that's better than nothing!! It probably would just barely take a mic pack.





Take that, patriarchy! 












No comments:

Post a Comment